Friday, October 21, 2016

Light up Jack o Lantern Card

Hey ya'll! Welcome back to the JFF Rubber Stamp Blog! Jennifer here today to share my latest creation using two Halloween stamps from the JFF Rubber Stamp Shop.
I used the awesome Crooked Old Tree stamp, and the Stitched Mouth Jack-o-Lantern stamp to create my card for today. 
I love this Jack-o-Lantern stamp. He is so cool looking. Kind of fun with a touch of spooky! 
 
To begin I grabbed a piece of Tim Holtz Watercolor cardstock and my Distress Inks to create my background. For the sky I blended Chipped Sapphire, Wilted Violet, Ripe Persimmon, and Carved Pumpkin Distress Inks. For the ground I used Mowed Lawn and Forest Moss Distress Inks. 
Once my colors were blended together I splattered some water onto my panel 3 different times. Changing how long I let the water sit on there before blotting it up each time to vary the amount of lifting. Next I stamped my Crooked Old Tree stamp with Versafine Onyx Black Ink and set the whole thing aside to dry.
Next I stamped "Jack" (original name isn't it?), again with the Versafine Onyx Black onto a piece of Bristol cardstock and clear heat embossed him. I used my Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers to color him in and a waterbrush to blend the colors together. 

*Quick side note. For those of you wondering why I don't use watercolor paper for my Zig markers, I found that they work ten times better on some smooth bristol cardstock. When I use them on watercolor paper it can sometime take a little more effort to blend and you have to do it quickly. Where as on the bristol the colors blend almost effortlessly on their own. Even without having to use water and a brush!

When I was happy with how he looked I set him aside to dry. While waiting for my pumpkin to dry I created a cardbase from #100 Neenah Kraft cardstock by cutting a piece down to 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 and folding it in half to create am A2 side folding card base. By then, Jack was pretty much dry and I fussy cut him out. Originally, I wanted to create an interactive card by adding a slider feature, but once I laid him on the background i felt he was a little too big and it would just look strange.
I was a little disappointed because I really wanted to create an interactive card. Especially since I decided I did not want to add a sentiment. 
Then it hit me! I had been wanting to play with some new colors of Chibitronics Circuit Lights that I had gotten a little while back! They have a tropical collection that includes the colors pink, green, and orange. So I decided to give the orange lights a go. After all you can't have a Jack-o-Lantern that doesn't light up!
          
How cute is that? I first laid Jack onto my blended panel where i planned to place him and poked some holes around Jack's eyes, nose, and mouth to allow the light to shine through better since the cardstock is fairly thick. I also used my Pen Blade to gently scrape the backs of the same areas. Next, I used my Pen Blade to trim out the areas on my blended panel around where the poked holes were made. 
Once that was done I grabbed a piece of scrap cardstock that I had trimmed down to be smaller than my card and lined it up behind the ink blended panel and traced his eyes nose and mouth on it to use as a guide when setting up my circuit panel. 
After I completed my circuit panel I arranged my Chibi Lights, 1 each for the eyes and nose and 2 for his mouth. I made sure they all worked before laying down 3 layers of foam tape and lined up my ink blended panel on top of the lights. Then I adhered Jack over the openings on the front panel, making sure my lights were shining through in the right spots before pressing him down permanently. 

I love when I get to use my Chibitronics Lights on a card. They really add a fantastic effect to the card. I'm sure some of you may feel intimidated about trying them out, but they are super easy to use, and a whole lot of fun!




Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope you enjoyed my latest creation!
For a full list of supplies I used for this card, and more detailed instructions stop on by my blog!

4 comments:

  1. What a great background, the lights are fun and different! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I love the bright background behind the pumpkin and the added lights are so fun! Wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I love the bright background behind the pumpkin and the added lights are so fun! Wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete