Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Stamptangle Stars - Stamping with watercolor crayons

Hello!  Today I have a couple cards to share using a technique where you stamp with a watercolor crayon instead of ink.  It is loads of fun and also easy!

(I added some splatter to this card.  It is stamped on mixed media paper.)

My watercolor crayons are from Prima and they call them Watersoluble Oil Pastels.  There are plenty of other brands that have a similar product, including gelatos.  (Note that the distress crayons are not supposed to work for this technique.)


First, I colored all over my stamp with the lightest color crayon, and then added the darker two colors randomly.  I then spritzed two or three sprays of water right onto the stamp.

(These were stamped on regular cardstock.)

I went ahead and stamped this three times, without reinking or spraying more water on the stamp.  You can see that your look will vary a little based on how much crayon you apply to the stamp and how wet it is.  There is no wrong or right for these amounts - experiment and see what you like.

The great thing about this watercolor technique is that it works well on all the papers I have tried.  Regular cardstock and watercolor paper both work great.  My favorite results are on a Mixed Media paper -- they just seemed a little more vibrant.

(For this card, I used less splatter.  It is stamped on mixed media paper.)

The stamps I used in these projects are the Stamptangle Star - Large, Stamptangle Star - small, Have a Wonderful Christmas Sentiment and "Holiday Magic" is from the Sentiments 3 Unmounted Sheet.  Remember, you can choose from wood mount, cling mount or unmounted stamps when you shop at Just for Fun!

This is a second card design I made using one of the stars I stamped on regular cardstock in the tutorial.

If you do not have any watercolor crayons right now, try any of your water based markers for a similar look.

Don't forget to link your Christmas and Winter projects to the Just for Fun December Challenge!  You do not need to use JFF stamps for these, but if you do, you get an extra entry for the gift certificate drawing!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the information on this post. I really like the way your cards turned out. I will definitely be trying out this stamping technique. Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn. I am glad you are going to try something new! I hope itis fun for you, too.

      Delete
  2. The results are very nice, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stars are so pretty! Lovely cards too, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete