Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Under the Sea - Adding sparkle to Distress Oxide backgrounds

Hello from design team member, Heidi!  If you are having any trouble getting results you like with your Distress Oxide backgrounds, I humbly suggest adding some sparkle.


The easiest way I have found to do this is to use Perfect Pearls mica powders.  This background was made starting with the same technique Tim Holtz has shown in many videos.  Smush your ink onto your surface, spritz with water and drag the paper through it.  Dry in between and repeat.  This is my twist on the technique, when you have your color down, get a bit of perfect pearls powder and add some water.  Use a brush and flick it all over your background.  At this point, I hope you will see your matte background come alive, like they did for me.


For this background I used two colors of gold Perfect pearls.  I love how it looks at different angles.  I used a lovely shell stamp from the Beach Unmounted Sheet and colored it with alcohol markers.  It was the absolute perfect thing to add the suggestion to my Clean and Simple "underwater scene."  The sentiment is from Sentiment Sheet 1.


Thanks so much for coming by! Hope you will come back often to see inspiration from the entire design team!

3 comments:

  1. Great card...love the colors! I will try your suggestions for getting a more exciting background. I just purchased my Distress Oxide inks so I will be experimenting for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Lynn! I would love to see what you make!

      Delete
  2. This is so lovely, Heidi. I love working with the oxide inks and I will have to try the Perfect pearls with them.

    ReplyDelete